April 29, 2010
Mayor Daley Backs Blackhawks With Wager Of Local Products On Vancouver Semi-Final Series
Mayor’s Press Office 312.744.3334
watch the press conference on Youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8EHu4cnIDY
Mayor Richard M. Daley today wagered a package of local food, drink and other products with the Mayor of Vancouver on the Chicago Blackhawks upcoming Western Conference semi-final playoff series against the Vancouver Canucks.
The series begins Saturday in Chicago.
“It was just about a year ago that we were celebrating the Hawks’ first appearance in the Stanley Cup playoffs since 2002,” Daley said in a City Hall news conference at which he was joined by President John McDonough and other team officials.
“The excitement that returned to this franchise last season has grown this year,” said.
To demonstrate his confidence in the Hawks, Daley made a friendly wager with Mayor Gregor Robertson of Vancouver on the outcome of the series.
The wager includes products from these Chicago Companies:
- Ferrara Pan Candy Company
- Connie’s Pizza
- Vienna Beef
- Azteca Products
- Garrett Popcorn Shops
- Golden Dragon Fortune Cookies
- Half Acre Brewery
- Robinson’s Ribs
- Illinois Specialty Cut Flowers
- BJ’s Market, and
- Eli’s Cheesecake
“There’s a huge amount of “buzz” about this team right now and that’s good for our City. We’re proud of the way they’re representing both the great tradition of the franchise and all the people of Chicago,” Daley said.
The Mayor thanked the following representatives, who were in attendance at the news conference, from the companies donating the products:
- Vince DiVencenzo, General Manager, Connie’s Pizza
- Keith Smith, Director of Marketing, Vienna Beef
- Art Velasquez, Owner, Azteca Products
- April Alvarez, Account Executive, Garrett Popcorn Shops
- Tom Leung, Owner, Golden Dragon Fortune Cookies
- Gabriel Magliaro, President, Half Acre Brewery
- Cordell Robinson, Vice President, Robinson’s Ribs
- Troy Ong, Owner, Illinois Specialty Cut Flowers
- Chef John Meyer, Owner, BJ’s Market
- Marc Schulman, President, Eli’s Cheesecake
Anything edible Chicago wins in this wager will be donated to the Chicago Food Depository.